Sunday, June 7, 2009

Keep Dancing

Since I started this journey, I have looked for motivation from many sources: songs, quotes, life stories, almost anything. But last Saturday night I had the incredible blessing to find motivation and encouragement from my own daughter Maggie. It hit me last Saturday night during her dance recital, that this wonderful young lady has stayed on the path most of her life through many bumps and cut-arounds to accomplish great things.

Maggie was born with some problems. She was developmentally delayed and had severe sensory integration problems. But from a young age she always wanted to dance and God had brought a wonderful instrument into her life - her dance teacher, Miss Stacy. She always believed in her. It seemed at first like Maggie would always have an asterisk by her name. In case you don't know what I mean, that's when someone sets a record but there's some special circumstances so they put an asterisk by their name. She threw her heart into dancing which had so many boundaries due to her problems. It was like she was always going to be a good dancer but would be confined by her physical problems.

But I can tell you that Saturday night during her ballet solo, she blew up the asterisk. She danced technically the best she has ever done, but it was her heart as a dancer and her love for the God she was honoring with the song she danced to ("Talk to Jesus" by Kathy Tricolli) that burst through bringing her dance teacher (and many in the audience) to tears.

I realized that she has always had the determination of a pit bull and she stayed on the path and will continue on the path to accomplish many wonderful things. So my daughter taught me a lesson - that I need to continue on the path just like she does and sometimes that path is a long difficult trip but it is lightened up if we just dance.

No comments:

Post a Comment